Saturday, April 18, 2009

Colnago Master Light

What about Bob's Colnago Master Light, with Rabobank Paint scheme? A friend of mine came in from Seattle, so I borrowed it so we could hit the town. before I gave it back I snapped a few pictures. (notice anything funny?)

-
I think the Bicycle is a 1995ish. The frames tubing was specially designed by Columbus for Colnago by a company called Gilco.

-
The tubing is round at the ends, so they can fit into the lugs, but in the middle they take on different shapes. This picture give you a good idea.

-
Short Chainstays, Tight tire clearance. Also

-
Chrome lugs a +


-
The paint scheme is a little busy for me, but I'd take it. It's starting to grow on me. Bob might have to pry this from my cold, dead hands, if he wants it back

-
Gotta have a seat to match.

I found the ride of this bike to be very good. I suspect it has to do with it stiff tubing design. Very stiff and responsive. Over the last year I've only ridden bikes made from 4130. Now switch to a light weight heat treated air hardened steel.
-
So I guess it's Project time! I mean at $2500 for the frame only, why not make my own? Won't be Gilco designed Columbus tubing, but I bet I can get very close.

2 comments:

big grin said...

think platinum ox or the new s3 true-temper tubing.i've been riding a garyfisher triton with platinum tubing & i've been impressed. i think i may use a little longer seat stays. those look too short. it is american made tubing a plus in my mind.

dmar836 said...

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with!