Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Look-See as many will say

With the Gentlemen race coming up I thought it might be a good idea to get a good look at the course. Milestone, langsford is pretty straight forward. Going from memory of the area, and not to the Map I got Milton-Thompson, and Thompson road mixed up

So if you see these grain towers to your right, keep going straight.
-


Otherwise you will end up here. about 1-1/2 miles off course . . x2 you sap.

Make it 3 miles off course and here we are.


Ahhhh The enterance to the Lake. I didn't get any pictures of the Lake roads. They are in better condition than I remember. They used to be 1 level better than a chuck wagon trail. Now they are nice and paved . . . so to speak . . . By one look at the map you will notice it's a bunch of tight twisty turns, what's not revealed is the varibal cornacopia of hills. Shifting? . . . . pffff . . . you can almost forget about it for the most part. If your good at riding a Single speed, and/or understand how to perserve momentum, You'll be golden. For those seeking rhythm by ratcheting through gears, will be ratching their brains to the point of frustration.
-

The one straight shot you have around the lake is the dam. I'm not sure if it's worth putting the pedal to the metal here or not. Just a hint, maybe it's better here just to save your matches (A Wise, Old, Crusty, Man, told me once, or twice, errrr forget about it.)
-

Yea . . . The end of the lake loop. There isn't a sign here that says this is Alley road. Just a sign down off to the left that says, road dead-ends, or something to that effect.
-

If you see this hill. Turn here to go up it. No it's really that steep . . . Go ahead, click on the picture and view it a little better . . . It's all that . . . with a bag of sand. Have Fun!
-

After you go alley to Alley Jackson, to Adam's Cemetary, to Buckner Tarsney, this is Hammond. To the right of me is a road sign with the top ripped off, It should say Brown. I know better, but curiousity got the best of me, and I went up that hill much like the one on Alley. Down the backside, only to find Spinhour Road . . . Oppps too far Add another 3 or 4 miles.
-

Going down Brown you will find hills like this. Maybe the sand will be here the Mar, 20th; maybe it won't? I'm sure the Hill will be, along with the tractor tire ruts. Here ruts are a good thing, they will give you traction.
-
This is the winner the of the, "There, I fixed it", award. Nice teetering blocks hold up that corner!
-

Ahhhh I remember my first Pink Crane. This is Lonejack/Lee's summit Road (LJLS). I was running too late to do the rest of the course. Beside my detours, I had a flat tire, then to be followed but another flat, with a serving of broken spoke. At this point I pack it in for the day.
-
Upon closer inspection I think my flats were caused by a bad rim strip, the broken spoke was just . . . Mmmm Mm . . . sometimes broken spoke just happpen. I love this course. You just can't be one of those riders that rides a trainer at 400watts for 1 hour, and expect to perform well, this course is going to take road bike skill.

No comments: