Thursday, November 27, 2008

CHainstays chAINstays chainSTAYS

Once again, and I can't say it enough. There is a reason they sell pre-bent chainstays.
Besides tubing, some stuff your going to want bending 3/4" 4130.
-
PlaySand: Pack those tubes full of sand so when your bending they are supported from the inside. This helps them from not buckling.

-
A 3/4" tubing bender . . . Ha ha . . . very Handy!

-
Draw up the design. Start with drawing the Bottom bracket, and dropout, then start marking off all your tolerances and limitations (Cranks, Gears, Tires, Rotor, etc.)

-
If you've done it right, when assembled it should shadow your drawing. You will need some practice before you do this the first time. Beware this practice might cause you some heartache. As a matter of fact if done right, it should. What I'm saying is if you step right through this process the first time, you will have no idea what your limitations are. Collapes a few tubes and learn what it feel like.
-
Also you have to make both pieces exactly the same, and keep the bends in the same plane.
-
Also Also I bought 4' of tubing instead of the 3' needed. You need extra tubing in order to get the leverage you need to bend the tube. You can use the extra bits later.

-
So I got it. Cranks clearance, Tire Clearance. ( also not shown Chainring and rotor clearance.)


-
I probably could have given the tire a little more clearance, and a little less crank clearance, but it all should work fine. If I have to I still have the option of dimpling.

-
Not a lot of chainring clearance (3mm), but once again no problem, I can dimple it if I have to.

No comments: