Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gett'n Jiggy

Gett'n Jiggy or however you spell it. Got the crusier designed and spec. Just for fun I desided to see what would happen if I Jigged up an existing built cruiser (24" BMX bike). It didn't Work.
-
So what's wrong. Well on Road Bikes and Mountain Bikes they have Bottom Bracket Drop. That mean the bottom bracket drops below the axles on your wheels. But on a 24" frame the bottom bracket and the wheel axles are about even. 1/2 of a 24" wheel is 12", and the normal bottom bracket height is about 12". The problem here is the chainstays hit my jig . . . that least with this frame.

-
Also the chainstays are hitting the side of the jig, but this is mostly because of the way GT designed their frame. Notice the frame block is not flust against the plate.

-
So now we have to think outside the box. I'll have to lower the whole works.

-
Then rotate everything 10 degrees clockwise.

. . . and then rotate everything 10 degrees clockwise. Ahhhhhh that ought to be fun when I'm tired and it's 2am. I might just build the first frame out of standard 4130 Like I've been doing before invest in money to blow on pitfalls.

No comments: