Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stockdale WalnutWoods

I went to the Stockdale-Walnut Woods trail yesterday.
http://stocksdalewalnutwoods.blogspot.com/

When I hear the name "Stockdale", it always reminds me of Will Stockdale.

At first I wondered if I was in the right spot because there were a lot of cars at the park, but no bike racks. This suggested the trail was full of hikers, but at 8am on a 16 degree morning. I noticed a car bumper stickers that said "VIP, Very Important Pitcher"
and underneith said Horseshoepitiching.com.
There is a building off to the right of the trail entrance with a lot of clanging going on inside. An indoor horseshoe pitching league was going on. I was welcomed and shown around, told the rules, and shown how some people pitch the horse shoes.
-
Back to the trail enterance. It is clearly marked with a map from Earthriders.

The board shows the trail is open to Hikers, Trail Runners, and Mountain bikes. This is nice to know because sometime not all the trail is open to mountain bikes, just hikers.
-

Trail marker 1. This is one of many markers. This markers shows that section 1 can go either left, or right and both are rated a green skill level. Some are rated Blue.
-
If you go Straight or East, the trail will bring you to what appears to me, older sections of the trail system. These trails are faster (not much) than the trails to the north.
-
If you go off to the left or North, this section is the newer sections. These trails are more technical, tighter and twisty.
-

There are a couple of these tress out there. Beware don't get a face full.
-

This is about maybe 85% of the trail. In my experience the trail system is a cross between Lawerence River trail and swope park. I never left the middle ring (32). Nothing out there so steep you had to ride the small, and nothing wide open enough to run the big ring . . .
. . . . other that the section outside the woods.
-

WATCH OUT! . . . Low Bridge!
-

Planks-O-Joy! . . . Planks-O-Plenty, just one of many of these
-

Decisions, Decisions . . . Rocks or Log-O-Joy!
-

It's a nice little trail. I'll come visit it some more. It's very well maintained.
-

Found this lttle guy on my way to work Friday. It's a 12mm Snap-On combination open/12 point box wrench. It's a little scatched up from being run over by cars on the road, but as far as I can tell all, what littel damage there is is just cosmetic. Too bad I can't think of anything that uses a 12mm. I supect this wrench is worth a dollar or two. I noticed the jaws of the wrench. now there is attention to detail. Too bad I don't have anything 12mm to try it out on. Oh yea this will go nice with the Snap-on Standard screw driver I found a year ago, as well as the Snap-On 3/8 drive. . . . Who says riding doesn't pay?

No comments: