Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Head Tube

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. It might be the greatest thing I ever built since I have low expectations the way it's been going. I mean it wasn't even supposed to be my frame. I bought a fork with steerer that turned out to be 8mm too short. I toyed with the idea of dropping the bottom bracket down to 72 from 68, and some other tweaks. I've got a Fuji from 91 that has a bottom bracket that low and it's one of the best frames I've ever ridden. It's also 72.5 parallel. It's stability galore, but then I'd have to tweak the angle between the downtube and seat tube. So I desided to buy another fork ,and just stick with my original design. I should build one. I still might. but for $40 when I think bare materials alone for a steel fork willl cost around $100+...enough already.

Jigged up and read to braze.


This is the first pass. This is called tinning the joint. you go around the joint a little hotter, and a little thinner. this is to make sure the joint is sealed and you have an internal fillet...cough, cough.


The final fillet before soaking. It dosen't look too good. Basically that means it's sound, but it's going to take a lot of cleanup. Next frame I'm brazing the whole frame the same day. I'm a little out of practice, but I think in the end it's will be fine.

No comments: