Sunday, November 25, 2012

Seat Cluster Un-Clustered

 So I went from this ..............................................to this.


With the Thomson seat post clamp it doesn't look too shabby. I've still got a bit of cleaning up to do, so who knows what will happen between brazing on the small parts and the paint. No really.

Since I'm building the frame I get to put the cable stops where I want. Some frames they are on top the top tube, other they are offset. I know the offset allows a more natural flow for the rear cable housing, but I always seem to snag my shorts on them... or whatever. I think a lot has to do with what type caliper you have. I have a Dura-Ace 7800. I think it's weird that they design the caliper so the housing is pointed right through the seat tube. I guess this way it's a 50/50. It's optimised for the stops to be on top, or offset. It's also a consideration where on the top tube they are. do you put them 2" or 3-1/2" from the seat tube. The natural flow of the cable from this caliper places the stop about 3-1/2" from the seat tube. Personally I don't think you will be able to tell, but you have to place them someplace.

No comments: