Monday, March 21, 2011

The Seat Tube and Bottom Bracket

I'm taking this project one miter at a time. Besides, what's the rush?

What's easier than the 90 degree seat tube to Bottom Bracket miter? Especially with the Joint Jigger. A product proudly made here in Kansas City.


With a little filing there you have it. It's a nice tight 90 degree miter. The Bottom bracket sats craddled on the seat tube, and didn't allow light to pass through. Later I'll wrap the Bottom Bracket in sand paper and polish seat on the seat tube, but besides that we're done.

Next the head tube. It's going to be a bit tricky using straight 4130 for a 1-1/8" head tube. I might have to braze on the head tube end reinforcement rings like I did on the Snow Bike. But that's OK because I have some new Brass and Flux coming my way to try out from Cycle Design Group.


Here's a throw back. It's a 6 speed freewheel where the smallest cog is a 16. This is my old Junior Freewheel from back in the 80's. If you were a junior you couldn't use a freewheel that had a cog smaller than a 16 because they wanted you to develop a spin and were afraid you might blow your knees out or something. The biggest gear you could have was 52x16. It seems to me using 52x16 up a steep hill could blow your knees out. I found a good article about here on Start Bike Racing.

I think it's an attempt to level the playing field If any George Hincapis come up. I remember seeing him when he was 14 on the 7-11 developmental team at the Apple Cup in Columbia, Missouri if memory serves me correctly. I don't think if looked a lot different than he does now. He was definately a man among boys.

No comments: