Friday, June 10, 2011

Getting tired of being tired


Getting tired of being tired that's what I say. I think I've done just about everything on this frame twice. I think the new paint scheme looks like a wheaties box. I kinda like it though. I like it more than I did the day before. I'm not real big on having Orange and black together . . . errrr I mean Pumpkin and Black. Just FYI Krylon Pumpkin doesn't cover very well, or at least as well as the other color's I've used. It took over 5 coates to cover the primer, while colors like white . . . ? . . . covered it in 2.

If I like it I might have a pro do it. This whole rattle can painting thing is a big mess. I've done all but one frame with rattle cans so I have some experience, and in that experience I've had some experiences that were the same experiences. (That last sentence was purposly paintfully redundant).

You'd think the rattle can process is real easy. I mean the frame is already stripped. so you sand it down with some 80 grit, then primer it, then paint it . . . easy/peasy right? . . . Mmmm not so much.

First off the primer doesn't really stick as well as I'd like. Even if you let it dry for a day. I've tried to paint not using primer. My frame turned out looking more like a melting candle more than anything . . . always use primer . . . . The primer just keeps the paint from running. however the primer is still your foundation. I know that your supposed to prep the frame with a toxic chemical that etches the frame so the primer sticks. but it doesn't mention it on the can, and I'm not real keen on toxic chemicals.

They say the paint will dry in 15 minutes on the can, however it takes more like a day really, and probably more like two months for it to cure. I mean you can let the frame dry for a week, then go to assemble it and find your paint is soft. I don't feel like waiting a week and I got what I deserved while assembling it, so scratchs and things.

Everytime I paint a frame with a spray can I think I'm going to use a great deal of patience and make some masterpiece. It never works. the sheen always seems to change, and the spray will change in volume.

A bike painted with a spray can will always look like a bike painted with a spray can. and once you get into it you discover why I cost what it cost to get it done by a pro. He got the equipment, the environment, . . . oh yes the environment. You can't get this done with precision if your doing this with gusts of wind blowing around you, . . . Like I said I'm not into toxic chemicals, and if i spray paint something it's outside . . . and he/she has the experience.

What's your time worth? I mean once you add up the time you use to prep the frame, sanding it, then going over it it acetone to clean it, then prime it, sand the primer, then sand it, prime it, wet sand it, then paint it, then let it dry, then paint it . . . let alone if you mask off panels . . . . hence the fades this time. I've done successful masking, I just don't want paint on it at this point.

People ask me why after spend 3 months building this frame do you finish it with a $4 can of spray paint. Right now these frame are experiements. I'm not sure the duel chainstay is going to work the way I want it to.

Just my 2 cents.

No comments: