Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Getting "Aero", Aeropress that is.

One of these days I'll get back to bikes. Which I hope is pretty soon with a Century coming up in a little over a month.


 
Now on to my new toy, the Aeropress I got from About the Coffee the place in KC where you will find all kinds of coffee gadgetry. The Aerpress makes a richer, stronger, coffee than using the pour-over method. Since you are forcing the water through the filter, instead of letting gravity do the work, you can use a finer grind.
To the furthest right you can see the filters in there filter holder


Get a filter out, wet it down, then put it in the filter cap.
Assemble the base, then put it on top of your coffee cup.
 
 

 
I'm not completely pro and own a burr grinder to get precision grounds. I find with a little experience I can do pretty well with this rotary grinder. You just have to shake and move it a lot while it's grinding, so don't wind up with some beans turned to dust, and other beans untouched. Like I said, you will learn from experience. Even though the grinder does have grind settings, just throw those out the window.

I put in 4 tablespoons of coffee, then fill with water till the no.4, stir, then insert the plunger, and plung! They say it should take about 20 seconds. I find that a good time for extraction on a lot of methods.
And there you have it. Like I said it's richer than a pourover, but different from the metal filtered gritty taste of a French press, or Moka pot.

If you would like to taste coffee brewed using an Aeropress, Benetti's Coffee Experience in Raytown can make them for you.

 

No comments: